Sunday, 1 April 2012

2 Month Extension of Time to File for US Citizens & Resident Aliens abroad

Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) has allowed U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad an 

automatic 2 month extension of time to file their tax return and pay any federal income tax that is 


You will be allowed the extension if you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien and on the regular due 

date of your return:

(i) You are living outside of the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of business or 

post of duty is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or

(ii) You are in military or naval service on duty outside the United States and Puerto Rico

If you use a calendar year, the regular due date of your return is April 15, and the automatic 

extended due date would be June 15.

In case of Married Taxpayers who are filing joint returns, either you or your spouse can qualify for 

the automatic extension. If you and your spouse file separate returns, this automatic extension 

applies only to the spouse who qualifies.

How To Get The Extension:
To use this automatic 2-month extension, you must attach a statement to your return explaining 

which of the two situations listed earlier qualified you for the extension.

No comments:

Post a Comment